Sunday, November 24, 2013

Dr. Who turns 50

Well I watched the “Day of the Doctor” last night and I was thrilled. Tom Baker Rules!
The whole status quo of the history of the Doctor seems to have been turned on its head. The fact that Tom Baker shows up as the curator at the end makes me wonder about what actually happens to a Time Lord when he regenerates. Do they go to the Time Lord retirement home? And of course we now know the events of the Last Day of the Time War.

I really wish that BBC America had seen fit to air “The Night of the Doctor” minisode so that I could have seen the events that led to Paul McGann’s Doctor’s regeneration into John Hurt’s War Doctor. I was able to watch it on YouTube, however.

I am glad that Galifrey is finally back on the map, so to speak. I hope that this means more cosmic stories. I like the historical stories, but I’ve always preferred the stories that existed on a universal scale. Superscience is just too cool.

Finally I was so glad to see David Tennant back in his “sand shoes” (as John Hurt’s Doctor calls them). Of the “new” doctors he has always been my favorite.

The episode ends on a suitably epic note. The 13 Doctors all fighting to save Galifrey was spectacular. We even get a glimpse of the new Doctor (or at least his eyes). And something Tom Baker’s character alluded to is that we might get see more previous “Doctors” in the future.

So in the immortal words of the Doctor “Galifrey Stands”. Allons-y !

No comments:

Post a Comment